Visitors and residents are never short on ways to enjoy the Sunshine State. From adventures in the air and water attractions near the shore to coastal dock strolls and delicious dining, Tampa truly has something for everyone.
Check out my guide to some fun outdoor activities in Tampa – experience the city like a local!
Outdoor Activities in Tampa for Adventurers
Adventurers like to take traveling and new experiences to new heights. Adventure can mean something different to everyone. In Tampa, you can find unique places for the family to enjoy the outdoors together and budget-friendly thrills for the faint of heart.
Horseback Riding at Cypress Breeze Farm – With a Twist
You can jump in the water on any beach or ride horseback at a farm. But have you ever done both at the same time? Cypress Breeze is open year-round for horse enthusiasts, and in the summer months, you can trek the waters along the beach at North Skyway Park, just outside of Tampa. Riders go on a guided swim with the horses for an hour and stop to enjoy the picturesque views of Tampa Bay before heading back.
Scenic Ziplining at Empower Adventures
View the scenic open waters of Tampa Bay and the breathtaking Mobbly Bayou Wilderness Preserve from the sky on a ziplining tour. Empower Adventures offers 3,000 feet of unique zip lines, a suspension bridge over 200 feet above the water, and an aerial obstacle course.
True adventurers can add a leap of faith at the end of the tour, taking a safe 30-foot jump from the final pole!
Outdoor Activities in Tampa on the Water
Part of what attracts visitors and people wanting to relocate to Tampa is the endless supply of waterfront activities, connecting you to nature. Make your way around the city by boat. Kayak through your cardio exercise, or have a romantic seafood dinner on the waterfront.
Spice Up Your Fitness Routine with Water Exercise
Tampa residents have the unique experience of taking mundane exercise to the exceptional waterfront views of the bay. From unique biking experiences to the ever-popular stand-up paddling (SUP), your workout will be anything but boring.
- Tampa Bay Water Bike Company offers the chance to experience the city from the water. Why take an exercise class when you can hop on an innovative bike that keeps you safe and dry as you traverse the river through downtown Tampa?
- Urban Kai Stand-Up Paddle Board Shop and Ohana SUP & Fitness offer private lessons and adventure tours along the Tampa Bay area. It is the perfect way to experience the city, get in low-impact exercise, and learn a new skill.
By the way, Tampa offers an extraordinary outdoor experience – very few cities provide the opportunities to view high-rise buildings while you observe marine life pass beneath your feet. Connect to nature, improve your wellness, and experience outdoor activities in Tampa you will never forget.
Adventures in Water Transportation
Among the resources of Tampa Bay are the affordable and special modes of transportation used by visitors and locals alike. Get around the city by hopping on an eBoat or docking right in front of your destination on the Pirate Water Taxi.
- eBoats Tampa allows you to rent an electric, environmentally friendly boat for groups of up to 10 passengers to coast along the bay. Sail on your own or with a guide at almost any time of day.
- Pirate Water Taxi allows you to hop on and off at stops near museums, parks, restaurants, and other attractions along the Channelside District through downtown Tampa and Armature Works. Purchase an annual pass or a daily ticket and sightsee in the most unique way possible.
Outdoor activities in Tampa are nonstop. Even transportation is an adventure!
Romantic Dining on the Water
As you make your way along the bay’s waterfront, you will find seemingly endless opportunities to dine and experience Tampa’s unique culture. After sundown, the spectacular city views and the seafood never disappoint. To narrow your search to some of the best options for a complete experience, here are two Tampa favorites:
- Salt Shack on the Bay is a small oasis in South Tampa with gulf-to-table food, ocean breeze, and views of Old Tampa Bay from the patio. Arrive by car or boat and enjoy the day under a Florida palm tree while you sip on a signature cocktail.
- Ulele overlooks the Hillsborough River and serves native-inspired food and drinks. Order a drink in a special cup, which allows you to take it with you as you move on to your next attraction along the Tampa Riverwalk.
No outdoor excursion in a new city is complete without a taste of local food, and these two places are local faves.
Outdoor Activities in Tampa for a Relaxing Stroll
Sometimes the best outdoor activities are less about physical excursions and all about the sights. From downtown views to the unique suburban culture, there are miles of places to walk, rest, eat, and fall in love with Tampa.
Tampa Riverwalk Waterfront Views
Explore one of downtown Tampa’s best features with waterfront views and activities for everyone. The Tampa Riverwalk is just steps from the Pirate Water Taxi and Ulele. It is the perfect place to experience what Tampa offers residents and a one-stop shop for a romantic date night and trail activities. Check out Armature Works, Sparkman Wharf, and the Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park to relax on the grassy field or cool off on the splash pad.
Tarpon Springs & Safety Harbor
Stroll off the beaten path and enjoy an authentic and unique Floridian experience. Tarpon Springs is a suburb about 45 minutes outside of Tampa with access to the Anclote Key Preserve and State Park and an offshore island. It has a unique culture rooted in Greek heritage and is home to 51 miles of waterfront attractions. Visitors take advantage of the 155-acre park and beach just off the Gulf of Mexico, where they can swim the white sandy beaches about a mile from the causeway.
Safety Harbor is also worth a mention, which is just across the bridge and about 25 minutes away from Tampa. With a small town feel, there are special events, parks with trails, and a museum and cultural center.
Enjoy Outdoor Activities in Tampa Year-Round
Bay-side culture is about laidback waterfront activities and quality food and drinks. One of the best parts about Tampa is that the outdoor activities are as diverse as its marine life – and available all year.
Considering a move this summer to Tampa? I’d love to help you out! I was born and raised in Tampa and have deep roots in the community. I’ve been in real estate for almost 20 years and know all the ins and outs of Tampa living. Contact me today for the inside scoop on the Tampa real estate market!